U.S. Army Contracting Command
Civilian Career Opportunities

FAQ - Veterans

Review the frequently asked questions below and in the FAQS drop-down list in the menu, if your question is not listed or you have suggestions, contact us. Your interest and feedback are appreciated.

All open Army Contracting Command positions are posted on the ArmyHire website. All government positions are posted on USAJobs website.

Veterans' Preference gives special consideration to eligible veterans looking for federal employment. Veterans who are disabled, served on active duty in the U.S. Armed Forces during certain specified time periods, or in military campaigns are entitled to preference over non-veterans both in hiring into the federal civil service and in retention during reductions in force. For more information, please visit Feds Hire Vets - Veterans' Preference .

Yes, please review the jobs page under Career Opporuntities.

VEOA is a competitive service appointing authority that allows veterans to apply for jobs that are open only to status candidates. To be eligible your latest discharge must be issued under honorable conditions and must be either;

  1. Preference Eligible; or
  2. A Veteran who has completed 3 or more years of active service; or
  3. A Veteran who was released shortly before completing a 3-year tour

Status Candidates are individuals who are current or former Federal civilian employees who hold/held non-temporary appointments in competitive service jobs.

VEOA-eligible individuals may apply and be considered for job announcements limited to Status Candidates

Visit the U.S. Office of Personnel Management to learn more about the Veterans Employment Opportunities Act of 1998.

Veterans meeting the criteria for preference are eligible to have either 5 points or 10 points added to their passing examination score. An online tool/advisor available from the U.S. Department of Labor can help you determine whether you are eligible for a 5-point or 10-point preference.

Spouses, widows, widowers or mothers of veterans may also be eligible to have 10 points added to their passing examination score if the veteran is deceased or is otherwise unable to use the preference.

Visit the U.S. Office of Personnel Management to learn more about OPM - Veteran Services Vet Guide">how preference categories and points are assigned .

When applying for Federal jobs, eligible veterans should claim preference on their application or resume.

Applicants claiming 10-point preference must complete Standard Form (SF) 15, Application for 10-Point Veteran Preference, and submit the requested documentation.

Transition Assistance Program (TAP) helps meet the needs of separating service members during their period of transition into civilian life by offering job-search assistance and related services.

TAP consists of a comprehensive 3-day workshops at selected military installations nationwide. Professionally-trained workshop facilitators from the State Employment Services, military family support services, Department of Labor or VETS’ staff present the workshops.

Visit the U.S. Department of Labor to learn more about the Transition Assistance Program (TAP).

FAQs - Students & Recent Graduates FAQs - General